"Oni Out, Luck In!" Otaku Pick Favorite Oni for Setsubun Celebrations
February 3rd is the day that the Japanese celebrate Setsubun, a spring festival in which people banish the ill tidings of the previous year by lobbing dried soybeans at demons, and in a recent poll on Anime! Anime! some 950 anime and manga fans decided which oni they’d like to celebrate the holiday with.
The Top 10 Results for the “Which Oni Character Do You Want to Sow Beans With During Setsubun?” poll are as follows:
10.) Ogremon, from Digimon Adventure.
09.) Gyuki, from Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan.
08.) Ram, from Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-.
07.) Chikage Kazama, from Hakuoki.
06.) Meisuke Nueno, from Hell Teacher Nūbē.
05.) Ririchiyo Shirakiin, from Inu x Boku Secret Service.
04.) The Oni Child Trio, from Ojarumaru.
03.) Lum, from Urusei Yatsura.
02.) Rem, from Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-.
01.) Hozuki, from Hozuki no Reitetsu.
You heard it here first, folks. Hozuki is best oni.
The poll ran from January 16 – January 22, 2017, and the respondents were split nearly 50 – 50 by gender, with slightly more women responding than men. The poll also skewed toward a younger age demographic, with voters in their teens and twenties making up about 60% of the respondents and voters aged thirty and older making up the remaining 40%.
Source: Anime! Anime!