Nintendo CEO: Switch Expected to Move 2 Million Units in 1st Month
The Wall Street Journal reporter Takashi Mochizuki reported on Wednesday that Nintendo CEO Tatsumi Kimishima said Nintendo does not expect a loss from selling its new Nintendo Switch hybrid home/handheld system. However, Nintendo intends to listen to consumer expectations on the cost of the system.
According to Mochizuki, Kirishima said the “current FY [fiscal year] financial guidance assumes 2 million units of Switch to be shipped this fiscal year ending in March.” The console is slated to ship on an unspecified date March.
Kimishima also emphasized that the Nintendo Switch is not designed as a replacement for the Nintendo 3DS, and said he was confident consumers would understand the differences between the two systems after the full unveiling of the Switch. Nintendo will continue to support and develop games for 3DS.
Nintendo previously announced 48 publishers, developers and middleware partners who are supporting the the Nintendo Switch. The system will not play Wii U game discs or Nintendo 3DS cards. Nintendo plans to reveal more information in 2017.
The system will offer a custom NVIDIA Tegra processor with an NVIDIA GPU, a high-definition display, detachable Joy-Con controllers, and a Nintendo Switch Dock for connecting the system to a television.
Source: Siliconera (Sato)