March comes in like a lion Live-Action Films’ Stills Highlight Rei, Kyōko, Gotō
The staff of the live-action films based on Chika Umino‘s March comes in like a lion (Sangatsu no Lion) manga unveiled three stills from the films on Friday showing Ryunosuke Kamiki as Rei Kiriyama, Kasumi Arimura as Kyōko Koda, and Hideaki Ito as Masamune Gotō.
Asmik Ace previously streamed two videos for the film last month.
The films will open in Japan on March 18 and April 22, respectively.
The cast includes (from left to right):
- Ryunosuke Kamiki as Rei Kiriyama
- Kuranosuke Sasaki as Kai Shimada, a hard-working shōgi player from Yamagata prefecture
- Hideaki Ito as Masamune Gotō, a shōgi player with an intimidating face
- Ryo Kase as Tōji Sōya, the youngest shōgi Meijin-level player at 21 years old
- Kasumi Arimura as Kyōko Koda, Masachika’s daughter who acts like a sister to Rei
- Etsushi Toyokawa as Masachika Kōda, Rei’s foster father
- Kana Kurashina as Akari Kawamoto, the oldest of the Kawamoto sisters
- Kaya Kiyohara as Hinata Kawamoto, the middle child of the Kawamoto sisters
- Chise Niitsu as Momo Kawamoto, the youngest of the Kawamoto sisters
- Gin Maeda as Someji Kawamoto, the grandfather of the Kawamoto family
- Issei Takahashi as Takashi Hayashida, a teacher in Rei’s school
- Ryō Iwamatsu as Takanori Jingūji, chairman of the Japan Shōgi Association
- Shigeru Saiki as Sakutarō Yanagihara, the oldest active A-rank shōgi player at 60 years old
- Tomoya Nakamura as Tatsuyuki “Sumisu” Misumi, one of Rei’s seniors in shōgi
- Hiroyuki Onoue as Issa Matsumoto, one of Rei’s seniors in shōgi
- Eita Okuno as Junkei Yamazaki, Rei’s opponent in the beginner’s match
- Masahiro Komoto as Manabu Yasui, a shōgi player who disturbs Rei’s heart
- Yuka Itaya as Misaki, the aunt of the Kawamoto sisters, who watches over them
In addition, Shōta Sometani (seen below) will play the role of Harunobu Nikaidō in the films. Nikaidō is the self-proclaimed “rival” and “best friend” of protagonist Rei Kiriyama.
Boku no Lyric no Bōyomi will perform the first film’s theme song, “Be Noble,” and Sakura Fujiwara will perform the second film’s theme song, “Haru no Uta.”
The story of the March comes in like a lion manga follows a solitary shōgi player named Rei and his relationships with a neighboring family. He becomes acquainted with Akari, and two young girls, Hinata and Momo, who also have a large number of cats.
Umino started the series in Young Animal in 2007, and Hakusensha released the 12th compiled volume on September 29. The series has won several awards including the Manga Taisho award and Kodansha Manga award in 2011. The manga also won the 18th Tezuka Osamu Prizes’ Top Award in March 2014.
A television anime adaptation of the manga is currently airing, with Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Bakemonogatari director Akiyuki Simbo directing the anime at SHAFT. The anime premiered on NHK in October. Daisuki and Crunchyroll are both streaming the series as it airs in Japan, and Aniplex of America has licensed the series.
Source: Comic Natalie