This U.S. University Features an Introductory English Course About Magical Girls
The University of South Carolina is offering a class called “Reading and Writing About Magical Girls,” as an English 101 course. The course encompasses the tropes of the magical girl genre while mixing in feminism and political thinking.
The class might seem silly in concept, but it’s a way to get students excited about writing that may be more effective than more stuffy traditional methods. The class covers the following episodes of anime as well as a few American cartoons:
- Little Witch Academia
- Sailor Moon: “A Moon Star is Born!”
- Cardcaptor Sakura: “Sakura and the Blacked Out School Arts Festival”
- Revolutionary Girl Utena: “Nanami’s Egg”
- Bakemonogatari: “Tsubasa Cat, Part 2”
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica, in its entirety.
- The Powerpuff Girls: “Equal Fights”
- Steven Universe: “An Indirect Kiss”
The professor is being highly praised and explains more about the class in a post on Reddit. Hopefully, more interesting classes like this hit American universities soon!