MAPPA Rolls the Bones with "Kakegurui" TV Anime
Kakegurui, a manga written by Homura Kawamoto and illustrated by Toru Naomura about a prestigious academy where the pecking order is determined exclusively by high stakes gambling, is being adapted into a TV anime with direction by Yuichiro Hayashi and animation by MAPPA.
The main staff for Kakegurui has been announced, including:
- Original work: Kakegurui, written by Homura Kawamoto and illustrated by Tōru Naomura (published in Square Enix’s Monthly Gangan Joker shōnen manga magazine)
- Director: Yuichiro Hayashi (Garo the Animation)
- Series composition: Yasuko Kobayashi (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, Attack on Titan)
- Character design: Manabu Akita
- Animation production: MAPPA (Rage of Bahamut: Genesis, Ushio and Tora)
The story of Kakegurui is set in Hyakkaou Private Academy, a prestigious school where a student’s social standing is determined not by academic or athletic prowess, but rather by their skill at high-stakes gambling. The student council rules Hyakkaou with an iron fist, until a mysterious and beautiful transfer student named Yumeko Jabami arrives…
An English language version of the original Kakegurui manga is available via digital distribution from Yen Press under the title Kakegurui – Compulsive Gambler. An official website and Twitter feed (@kakegurui_anime) have also been published for the TV anime adaptation.